Spencer's Day

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Hype is STRONG with This One! New Nintendo Switch info and thoughts!

Hey you know how Nintendo is making a new video game system that's half home console and half handheld?

Image result for nintendo switch

Well the other day they had a livestream presentation all about it that answered my two biggest questions about the mysterious Nintendo Switch.

Image result for nintendo switch

Firstly, the battery life question. I did say that the battery life on this thing has to be at least 4 hours to satisfy me. The average battery life is 2.5-6 hours, depending on what video game you are playing (bigger, more powerful games like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will drain the battery life quicker than say, a simple virtual console port of say, Super Mario Bros 3). Oh, well, I can live with that.

Image result for nintendo switch

The second thing are the launch titles and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is in fact available at launch which makes me very happy and basically makes me want the Switch even more since that game, along with Digimon World: Next Order are the games I am looking forward too most.

On another note, they also unveiled some other titles for the Nintendo Switch, which includes a port of Minecraft and it's spin-off Minecraft Story Mode which is good for people who must have every version of a game or simply haven't played either game despite the fact that Minecraft is arguably the most successful game ever (just behind the Mario and Pokemon franchises!).

But the game that has me most excited?

Image result for splatoon 2

Splatoon 2! Or as I like to call it... Spla-2-n. Incredibly lame pun, I know, but I couldn't resist! There's only one thing I want to happen with Splatoon 2, and that's fix the leveling system. When the original Splatoon came out, the way leveling up worked (the amount of terrain you covered during a multiplayer match is counted up and converted into EXP) made leveling way too easy and made it so you can reach the level cap in about a day, or at most, four days of playing the game. Then they changed the way you level up so that everyone gets a fixed amount of EXP based on whether they were on the winning team or not. The problem here is that the amount of EXP given varies from game mode to game mode, and because of the automatic mode rotation you couldn't play the game mode that you want to use for grinding purposes when you want, and because the Turf War (the only game mode available 24/7) EXP is pitiful, leveling up was so painfully slow that I myself only play the game during Splat Fests nowadays, and they released the final one for the original Splatoon a few months ago.

Image result for splatoon 2

What I'm saying here, is don't make the same EXP mistake the first game made, so that leveling up doesn't become a chore. But on a positive note, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER'S HAIRSTYLE NOW!!! Oooohhhh, that makes me very happy because do you realize the agony of playing as a male character in Splatoon and the default hairstyle is a flipping pony-tail!? For quite awhile I didn't even know you COULD play as a male character in the first game because of the pony-tail!

Image result for splatoon 2

Oh, and Splatoon 2 has new maps and weapons like dual-guns, jet-packs, a pressure-washer, and grenades that ricochet off walls and go around corners. But the highlight is the dual guns, since their like the Aerospray (my personal favorite) but cooler!

Speaking of Nintendo Switch titles, they have a new weird, half-shooter-half-fighting game called ARMS.

Image result for nintendo switch arms

ARMS is a fighting game shooter game hybrid. How is that possible? Every character in the game have super stretchy arms and while the characters fight as though they're having a boxing match, the stretching arms gimmick gives you a large amount of long-range options when it comes to combat.

Image result for nintendo switch arms

This game feels like it's TRYING to follow in the footsteps of Splatoon in the sense that both are brand new IP's from Nintendo themselves that serve as that company's take on two increasingly popular genres (shooters for Splatoon and fighting games for ARMS!). It also reminds me a lot of Punch-Out! on the Wii, due to the similar control scheme of "When you punch IRL your character punches with you". Personally, I am not really that sure about this game. I mean, I've never been into the fighting game scene (except Smash Bros, and to a lesser extent Pokken Tournament). But Hey! If people herald ARMS as the greatest Nintendo game ever made then I'll consider getting the game myself.

Image result for nintendo switch mario kart 8 deluxe

The Switch also has a port of Mario Kart 8 known as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Which is basically the same game but with King Boo (not King Louie, or King K. Rool, and definitely not *King T'challa!) as a playable character, but also...

Image result for nintendo switch mario kart 8 deluxe

The Inklings from Splatoon? Should this series even be called MARIO Kart anymore? Let's call Super Smash Racers or something. Or better yet! Let's call it Super Smash Bros Racers Definitive Edition  IV-2 & Knuckles: Revenge of the Goomba!

Image result for nintendo switch mario kart 8 deluxe

Back on subject. I've never really played Mario Kart 8 and rarely touch Mario Kart Wii because of how rage-inducing that game can be. But Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks fun.

Image result for nintendo switch super mario odyssey

While on the subject of Mario, there's also a new main series game called Super Mario Odyssey, It's basically Super Mario Galaxy, but without all the space...ness... of that duology.

Image result for nintendo switch super mario odyssey

 It also brings Mario to "the real world" which is really weird if you ask me. But on the plus side this game introduces the ability to throw Mario's hat like a boomerang, which is cool. Oh, and before I forget...

Image result for nintendo switch super mario odyssey

Bowser is so dapper in that outfit. So, so dapper. So Nintendo, next Mario Spin-Off game, whatever it is, give us the option to have Bowser wear this outfit while playing as him because this outfit is incredibly dapper.

But now for something completely different!

Image result for nintendo switch xenoblade chronicles 2

So Nintendo's got a new RPG in the works (which is good because I LOVE RPG's) made by Monolith Soft. If you don't know who Monolith Soft are, they made Xenoblade Chronicles, which is considered by many to be the greatest RPG of all time (some would say it's the greatest Nintendo game period!) which got a okay spiritual sequel called Xenoblade Chronicles X, which wasn't anywhere near as good as the original but still a decent game in it's own right (I can confirm the quality because I played through that game myself!). But when I saw the trailer for this game I was like "Aw sweet, Monolith Soft is making a new RPG!".

Image result for nintendo switch xenoblade chronicles 2

Also, is it my imagination or does this game look a little bit more cartoon-y than the previous Monolith Soft games? It might be my eyes trolling me, or maybe it is more cartoon-y.

Image result for nintendo switch xenoblade chronicles 2

Also, you can ride on a lion, but I can't find a picture of who I think is the main hero riding on a lion, so have a picture of this girl who looks like a blonde version of Asuna from Sword Art Online here instead.

And then they unveiled the title of this new RPG...

Image result for nintendo switch xenoblade chronicles 2

When I learned that this is a DIRECT sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles, my reaction was something along the lines of "OOOOOOOHHHHHHH my gosh they're making a new Xenoblade game!!!". I'm very interested to see how this game expands on the first game, especially since that game had a very self-contained ending. And when I say self-contained, I mean I don't really see how they could even make a sequel and have it make sense. This is the very reason why I don't think, nor do I want, a sequel to Undertale, and if you have read literally any of my posts you know that Undertale is without a doubt my all-time favorite video game. If anything, they should make a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles X, since that game not only ended on a cliffhanger, but also left WAY too many questions unanswered ("Why can't anyone leave Planet Mira? What happened to Lao? Who were the purple guys in the opening cutscene? How can L, an ORGANIC life form, use Overdrive, an ability exclusive to robots?"- Me after beating Xenoblade Chronicles X). But I digress.

The last thing they showed during the presentation that caught my eye was a teaser for a Fire Emblem game known as Fire Emblem Warriors, and when I say teaser, I mean the teasing...est... teaser.

Image result for nintendo switch fire emblem warriors

The only thing they showed besides the logo for the game was a clip of who I thing might be Chrom (the main hero of Fire Emblem: Awakening) picking up the Falchion (think of the Falchion as the Master Sword/Excalibur of Fire Emblem, basically it's a super important sword that shows up in every Fire Emblem game with the lone of exception of one).

Image result for nintendo switch xenoblade chronicles 2

Considering that game is being made by Tecmo Koei and Team Ninja, it's safe to say it will play something like a Dynasty Warriors game (that is, a fast, action packed hack'n'slash that lets you combo ENTIRE ARMIES to death), but with Fire Emblem characters. Kind of like how Hyrule Warriors was basically a Dynasty Warriors game but with Legend of Zelda characters. Which is not a bad thing, actually. You know, why I have I never gotten Hyrule Warriors? I'm a honest-to-goodness Legend of Zelda fan, and hack'n'slash/beat-em-up games can be really fun (especially if they're being developed by Platinum Games, but Fire Emblem Warriors is being developed by Tecmo Koei, which is also well-known for making good action games).

There were also several other games, including a port of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and a casual party game called 1-2 Switch! but they don't really appeal to me personally.

Image result for nintendo switch bowser

They also made a cartoon where Nintendo explains the Nintendo Switch's parental controls. While under normal circumstances, I would have completely ignored the cartoon, but the entire reason I watched it was because they had Bowser and Bowser Jr from the Mario franchise star in it. As it turns out, Bowser is a caring and responsible father! Who knew?

But anyways, we got release dates for stuff, Zelda at launch (yay!), a new Xenoblade, a new Fire Emblem, a new Mario that has boomerang hats, and the sequel to Splatoon that FINALLY lets you change your character's hair. So yeah!

*- King T'Challa is the ruler of the fictional country Wakanda, and is also the alter-ego of the Marvel superhero Black Panther. The only reason I'm explaining who King T'Challa is and not the other two is because EVERYONE knows who they are and if you don't, then you can just use the power of Google to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment