There are a total of five regions which Pokemon inhabit. Here's a list.
- Kanto - the first region.
- Johto - the second region.
- Hoenn - the third region.
- Sinnoh - the fourth region.
- Unova - the fifth and newest region.
When you first become a Trainer, you are given a Starter Pokemon. Starters are your first Pokemon and will stick with you unless you swap it for another Pokemon. Here's a list
- Charmander - A Fire type. It's life force is in the flame on it's tail. It evolves into Charmelion, then into Charazard.
- Bulbasaur - A Grass type - it is a hybrid of plant and animal. It evolves into Ivysaur, then into Venusaur.
- Squirtle - A Water type. It looks a bit like a turtle. It evolves into Wartortle, then into Blastoise.
- Torchic - A Fire type. It's very cute and downright adorable. It evolves into Combusken and then into Blaziken.
- Totodile - A Water type. It looks like a small, two-legged crocodile.. It evolves into Croconaw and then Feralligater..
- Cyndaquil - A Fire type. It looks a bit like a echidna. It evolves into Quilava, then into Typhlosion.
- Chikorita - A Grass type. It has a giant leaf on it's head. It evolves into Bayleef, then into Meganium.
- Treecko - A Grass type. It looks a bit like a two legged gecko. It evolves into Grovyle, then into Sceptile.
- Turtwig - A Grass type. It looks like a turtle, with a seedling on it's head. It evolves into Grotle, then into Torterra.
- Chimchar - A Fire type. It looks like a small chimp or monkey that has a flame on it's tail. It evolves into Monferno, then into Infernape.
- Piplup - A Water type. It looks like a blue, small penguin. It evolves into Prinplup, then into Empoleon.
- Mudkip - A Water type. It uses the fin on it's head as a radar. It evolves into Marshstomp, then into Swampert.
- Tepig - A Fire type. It looks like a small pig. It evolves into Pignite, then into Emboar.
- Snivy - A Grass type. It looks like a green snake with small limbs and a sideways-facing teardrop shaped head. It evolves into Servine, then into Serperior.
- Oshuwott - A Water type. It looks like a sea otter. It evolves into Dewott, then Samurott.
Pokemon have types. In my opinion, I think Normal type Pokemon are the best choice, because they have little to almost no weakness against most Pokemon. Something worth noting is that Dragon type Pokemon are weak against themselves. Same thing with Ghost type Pokemon. Ground type Pokemon are immune to moves like Thunderbolt or Electro Ball. However moves like Water Gun will do extreme damage to Ground type Pokemon.